Johnson-Cook Plugin for Abaqus
By Johnson-Cook Plugin for Abaqus, standard handbook data is used to determine Johnson-Cook hardening parameters. Just enter the relevant values of Young’s modulus, Poisson’s ratio, yield stress, offset strain, ultimate stress, and strain at the failure to calculate Johnson-Cook constants of A, B, and n.
If you press the “Yes” button, the plug-in runs a one-element model using this Johnson-Cook material and plots the stress-strain response.
Johnson-Cook Material Model
The Johnson-Cook material model is widely used in finite element analysis to simulate the behavior of materials under high strain rates, such as those experienced in impact and crash events.
The Johnson-Cook model describes the flow stress behavior of materials as a function of strain, strain rate, and temperature. It is commonly used for simulating the behavior of metals at high strain rates and temperatures. The model is expressed through the following equation:
To implement the Johnson-Cook model in Abaqus, you will need to define the material properties using the parameters \( A, B, n, C, m \). These parameters can be obtained through material testing or from literature sources or using calibration plugins like this. Once the material properties are known, you can use the built-in material model in Abaqus/CAE or create a user-defined material subroutine (UMAT) in Abaqus to incorporate the Johnson-Cook model into your finite element simulation.
- Determine Johnson-Cook hardening parameters
- Example 1: AL 2024 T351
Installing the Plugin
Extract the contents of the zip folder into a subdirectory of the abaqus_plugins folder, which can either be located in the
- abaqus_dir\code\python\lib\abaqus_plugins where abaqus_dir is the Abaqus parent directory or,
- home directory (in which case the plugin will be available whenever Abaqus is run) or,
- within the current working directory of your Abaqus/CAE session.
The Johnson-Cook Plugin for Abaqus is designed to be compatible with Abaqus/CAE 6.14 and later.
- Version 2016
Who this plugin is for:
- Engineering or science students and professionals who need to calibrate Johnson-Cook parameters
- Advanced students, Ph.D. students, or researchers for their Abaqus FEA projects
- Any Abaqus Application Engineer who is involved with various simulation projects daily
What you’ll gain
Need help? Get a consultation from our experts.