Advanced Failure Analysis of Composite Materials
What you’ll learn
- Complete knowledge of composite materials
- Fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis
- Failure Analysis of Composite Materials
- Introduction to Abaqus and Autodesk Helius PFA
- Modeling Composite Materials in Abaqus
- Failure Analysis in Autodesk Helius PFA
- Multiscale Modeling of Composite Materials
- Progressive Failure Analysis of Composite Materials
- FRP Composite Material Delamination
- Element Deletion Technique
- Reduced Mesh Sensitivity & Convergence Computational Efficiency
- Fatigue Analysis
- Practical Examples & Workshops
Autodesk Helius PFA & Failure Analysis
Autodesk Helius PFA for composite materials is a software tool developed by Autodesk, Inc. that is designed to help engineers and designers simulate and analyze composite materials’ behavior under various loading conditions.
With Autodesk Helius PFA, users can create complex composite material models and simulate their response to various types of loading, such as tension, compression, bending, and shear. The Autodesk Helius PFA can also analyze the failure behavior of composites, including delamination, fiber breakage, and matrix cracking.
Helius PFA includes a variety of material models and failure criteria that can be used to simulate different types of composite materials, such as laminates, chopped fiber composites, and particle-reinforced composites. The software can also import data from other tools, such as finite element analysis (FEA) packages and CAD systems.
Overall, Autodesk Helius PFA for composite materials is a powerful tool that can help engineers and designers optimize composite structures’ design and ensure their performance and safety under various loading conditions.
Advanced Failure Analysis of Composite Materials with Abaqus and Autodesk Helius PFA
- Introduction to Composite Materials:
This chapter would cover the basics of composite materials, including their composition, properties, and applications.
- Fundamentals of Finite Element Analysis:
This chapter would cover the basics of finite element analysis, including meshing, boundary conditions, and material properties.
- Failure Analysis of Composite Materials:
This chapter would cover the various modes of failure of composite materials, including delamination, fiber breakage, and matrix cracking.
- Introduction to Abaqus and Autodesk Helius PFA:
This chapter would provide an overview of the Abaqus and Autodesk Helius PFA software tools, including their features and capabilities.
- Modeling Composite Materials in Abaqus:
This chapter would cover the process of creating a finite element model of a composite material in Abaqus, including defining the material properties and boundary conditions.
- Failure Analysis in Autodesk Helius PFA:
This chapter would cover the process of simulating the failure of composite materials in Autodesk Helius PFA, including selecting the appropriate failure criteria and interpreting the results.
- Multiscale Modeling of Composite Materials:
This chapter would cover the process of using Autodesk Helius PFA to simulate the behavior of composite materials at different length scales, including the constituent level and the composite level.
- Fatigue Failure Analysis of composite plates:
This case study could involve the failure analysis of a composite plate that has failed due to fatigue loading. The analysis could involve simulating the effects of different loading conditions and identifying the causes of fatigue failure in the composite structure.
- Example Problem 1 – Composite Conic
- Comparison of Helius PFA with Linear Elastic Abaqus Failure Criteria
- Comparison of Helius PFA with Abaqus’ Progressive Damage Model (2D Hashin)
- Example Problem 2 – Pre-Failure Nonlinearity Demonstration
- Example Problem 3 – Thermal Residual Stresses & Temperature Dependent Material Properties
- Example Problem 4 – Energy Based Degradation
- Example problem 5 – Open-hole tension (OHT) plate test (Validation)
- Example problem 6 – Double cantilever beam (DCB) – Cohesive Functionality
- Example problem 7 – Progressive fatigue analyses of open-hole tension (OHT) plate test
- Example problem 8 – Failure analysis of a large-notch coupon loaded in tension to investigate element deletion
Who this course is for
- Composite and mechanical engineers who need to perform failure analysis
- Advanced students, Ph.D. students, or researchers for their Abaqus FEA projects
- Any Abaqus Application Engineer who is involved with various simulation projects on a daily basis
What you’ll gain
- You will be able to perform failure analysis by Abaqus & Helius PFA
- You will be able to perform composite fatigue analysis by Abaqus & Helius PFA
How to find us
Need help? Get a consultation from our experts.